Thorncrest Thorncrest  
About Us
Login | Register
  About Us
  Homes For Sale
  Our Sponsors
  Trusted Service Providers
  Sponsor & Business
Listing Inquiry
  Facilities Rental
  Membership Inquiries
  Program Calendar
  Neighborhood Watch
  Thorncrest Donors
  Past Presidents and Directors
  Contact Us
  Member Directory
  Upcoming Events
  Board Members
  Photo Albums
  Find a Sitter
  Site Search

Thorncrest Village
Thorncrest was the name of the former summer property of Sir William Pearce Howland (1811-1907), who came to Canada from the United States and settled west of the Humber River, where he owned a mill. Later, as one of its leading citizens, he participated in Upper Canada’s House of Commons, became a father of Confederation and finally was appointed as Ontario’s first regular Lieutenant Governor. The farm house he built is still in good condition and is now designated as an Etobicoke Historic Site.
In 1944 Marshall M. Foss bought the 100 acre site and formed Thorncrest Development Co. He had an idea which was to blossom into Thorncrest Village. The Village would have a homeowners association, composed of the residents, each having one vote, that would coordinate and control community activities and facilities.
The development company retained Dr. E.G. Faludi, a world renowned urban planner to lay out the lots and services of the Village in a manner somewhat revolutionary for 1945. The lots were very large and an absolute minimum number of trees were felled. Road patterns were planned predominantly in an east-west manner to provide southern exposure for the majority of homes which were designed and built with large windows in a single storey style. Constantly curving and dead-end routes controlled traffic and speeding. A nearby shopping center was created and business encouraged. Three large park areas were laid out and a clubhouse, swimming pool, tennis courts and playground were built on the central one - all for the use of the resident members of the Thorncrest Homes Association.
A Board of Directors comprised of Villagers, elected by the residents annually, headed the Association. The Development Company in conjunction with the Homes Association and the Board of Directors sought prospective lot buyers who were willing to “pitch in” and make the neighbourhood concept work. In fostering this concept, the Development Company invested a portion of its profits in the community facilities and in turn expected home buyers to abide by 30-year deed restrictions which were imposed on their lots. The purpose of the restrictions was to maintain the country-like setting and the architectural integrity of the neighbourhood. They curtailled the building of fences, the indiscriminate cutting of trees and required the submission of plans and specifications for new homes (as well as additions) for Board approval.
Thirty years later – 1975 – the residents of Thorncrest Village, on the eve of the expiry of these deed restrictions, decided (92% of 208 families) to continue as an Association on a voluntary membership basis without deed restrictions (building sizes and setbacks are now covered by City of Toronto by-laws) but to conform to a new set of Association by-laws which incorporate the desired features of the old by-laws. Two important features that were retained are those dealing with fence restrictions and submission of plans and specifications for new homes and additions. It is expected that all members of the Thorncrest Homes Association will continue to support the neighbourhood spirit of the Village that has worked so well over such a long period of time.
Our Village and Association are unique – let us all continue to preserve this beneficial way of life.
Our Club House and Administrative offices are located at:
35 Thorncrest Road 
Etobicoke, Ontario M9A 1S4.
Office # 416 231 3181
Summer Office Hours
July and August 
Monday to Friday: 11:00-4:00
Saturday and Sunday: CLOSED
Off Season Hours - Please call the office for inquiries


Featured Sponsors